Dear Lord, prepare my heart to receive your word this
morning. Open my spiritual eye so I may behold the wonder of your holy word. In the
name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I pray. Amen.
Mark tells us about a transcendent experience he shares with
Peter, James, and John after Jesus' harsh denunciation of Peter for attempting
to lead him away from his route to the cross. In the same tradition as them,
the renowned prophets Elijah and Moses confirm his status as God's anointed
one. God himself addresses him as his son. The disciples are understandably
perplexed and overwhelmed: they had been impressed by Jesus as a teacher and a
miracle worker, but this was on a whole other level.
We are occasionally given our own ‘mountain-top
experiences,' in which God appears extremely close to us and the veil between
earth and heaven is lifted. These are priceless experiences, but they aren't
typical.
What follows afterward, in some respects, is even more significant,
at least in terms of our everyday discipleship. When they reach the bottom of
the mountain, they are met with bewilderment, fury, and failure: the remaining
disciples are unable to heal a demon-possessed youngster.
Real ministry happens in everyday life and among everyday
people. It can be aggravating, annoying, and draining. Mountaintop experiences
provide us with energy for our daily tasks. 'The cries of the world and the
summons of the cross/ Lie below in the valley again,' writes David Owen in his
song.
I thank you Lord as I am blessed to receive your word today.
